Re: conflicts between Debian's and upstream's Debian package

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 22:15:41 +0100
Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:04:56 +0100, Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de>
> wrote:
> >Problem: The Debian maintainer messed up the version numbers
> >and had to introduce a "1:" for his foo package. Now upstream's
> >package always appears to be out of date, forcing me to override
> >apt-get.
>
> That is unfortunately a situation that our tools don't handle well.
> You could try pinning down Debian's version of that package in
> apt_preferences(5).

This works a lot better if upstream provide a repository (with
identifying details unique to that repository) as the pin can work in
both directions, withstanding changes in the versions due to epochs etc.

Standalone .deb files "lobbed over the wall" from upstream are the most
common source of the reasons why upstream packages have such a bad
name, even if a .dsc is provided.

Signing an upstream repository can be a mixed blessing - downloading
an .asc file from the same website isn't the best way to trust the
packages from that website but is the typical way these things get
done. If someone goes to the length of packaging a keyring package,
it's much better to simply package the software instead and use the
archive keyring with all the mirrors, buildds and PTS etc.

> >If upstream's Debian package of a tool is "not good enough"
> >for Debian for some reason, wouldn't it be reasonable to avoid
> >a naming conflict on creating the Debian package?

> Unfortunately, most upstreams make Debian packages unsuitable for
> inclusion in Debian proper. That's however unavoidable, since nearly
> no upstream can invest the time needed to provide really good packages
> for all major distributions out there.

Agreed, upstream's .deb file is almost never "good enough" for direct
inclusion into Debian or "simple" inclusion via a clean rebuild &
signing. The times it does work (for Debian packages at least) are when
there is a DD on the upstream team... Keeping up with Policy, packaging
practice and other requirements within the distro is not something
anyone should expect upstream to do without someone on the team
being a member of that distro. A .deb file is not a simple archive, it
is trivially easy to make a "bad" .deb which ignores Policy and breaks
your system completely.

It is in everyone's interest that the Debian package has the same name
as the source package released by upstream - unless there is a
different package, from a different upstream, already in the archive
with that name or the upstream uses a inappropriate or overly generic
name.

--

Neil Williams