Re: conflicts between Debian's and upstream's Debian package

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:04:56 +0100, Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de>
wrote:
>Problem: The Debian maintainer messed up the version numbers
>and had to introduce a "1:" for his foo package. Now upstream's
>package always appears to be out of date, forcing me to override
>apt-get.

That is unfortunately a situation that our tools don't handle well.
You could try pinning down Debian's version of that package in
apt_preferences(5).

>If upstream's Debian package of a tool is "not good enough"
>for Debian for some reason, wouldn't it be reasonable to avoid
>a naming conflict on creating the Debian package?

Unfortunately, most upstreams make Debian packages unsuitable for
inclusion in Debian proper. That's however unavoidable, since nearly
no upstream can invest the time needed to provide really good packages
for all major distributions out there.

Greetings
Marc