conflicts between Debian's and upstream's Debian package

Hi folks,

I would like to use upstream's Debian/Ubuntu packages for a
certain tool 'foo'. Its closer to what I need, and I don't
have migrate between both versions before asking the mailing
list for help or for reporting/fixing problems.

Problem: The Debian maintainer messed up the version numbers
and had to introduce a "1:" for his foo package. Now upstream's
package always appears to be out of date, forcing me to override
apt-get.

If upstream's Debian package of a tool is "not good enough"
for Debian for some reason, wouldn't it be reasonable to avoid
a naming conflict on creating the Debian package?

Regards
Harri