Re: conflicts between Debian's and upstream's Debian package

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 09:04:56AM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to use upstream's Debian/Ubuntu packages for a
> certain tool 'foo'. Its closer to what I need, and I don't
> have migrate between both versions before asking the mailing
> list for help or for reporting/fixing problems.
>
> Problem: The Debian maintainer messed up the version numbers
> and had to introduce a "1:" for his foo package. Now upstream's
> package always appears to be out of date, forcing me to override
> apt-get.

As Far As I Can See can that "problem" worked around
with also prefix '1:' the version while packing upstream.

> If upstream's Debian package of a tool is "not good enough"
> for Debian for some reason, wouldn't it be reasonable to avoid
> a naming conflict on creating the Debian package?

Frankly, I don't understand the question.
And in a matter of fact I don't understand the posting.

I think it is wise to name the actual package name (plus version(s))
and the URL of upstream. Right now I have to guess it is about
two code bases with same name (with simular functionality)
or same code base where Debian version is behind Upstream version.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven