Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond

Am 22.01.2015 um 15:46 schrieb Steve McIntyre:
> paravoid@debian.org wrote:
>>
>> - pam_motd provides a facility (via a custom patch, brought over by
>>  Ubuntu) that run-parts /etc/update-motd.d. The directory exists in
>>  Ubuntu (along with default scripts that set Ubuntu's motd) but not in
>>  Debian, although https://wiki.debian.org/motd documents it.
>>
>>  Moreover, this is broken in jessie right now (#743286) as pam_motd
>>  writes the run-parts output to (/var)/run/motd but nothing ever reads
>>  that. Ubuntu's pam_motd is patching this to be /run/motd.dynamic which
>>  is in accordance with sshd's pam configuration (and in Ubuntu,
>>  login's).
>
> AFAICS there remain silly unfixed bugs in the Ubuntu setup too, which
> I've reported and never seen any progress on - see
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/684244
>
> If you want to take this stuff into Debian too, please get that stuff
> sorted out.

I'm also no longer convinced, that running a huge shell machinery (as
root) during login via PAM is a good idea.

If we go the update-motd route, I'd like to see the update-motd calls be
removed from login (and boot) and instead have the dynamic part of
/etc/motd be updated via a cron job.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?