Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond

paravoid@debian.org wrote:

>- pam_motd provides a facility (via a custom patch, brought over by
>  Ubuntu) that run-parts /etc/update-motd.d. The directory exists in
>  Ubuntu (along with default scripts that set Ubuntu's motd) but not in
>  Debian, although https://wiki.debian.org/motd documents it.
>
>  Moreover, this is broken in jessie right now (#743286) as pam_motd
>  writes the run-parts output to (/var)/run/motd but nothing ever reads
>  that. Ubuntu's pam_motd is patching this to be /run/motd.dynamic which
>  is in accordance with sshd's pam configuration (and in Ubuntu,
>  login's).

AFAICS there remain silly unfixed bugs in the Ubuntu setup too, which
I've reported and never seen any progress on - see

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/684244

If you want to take this stuff into Debian too, please get that stuff
sorted out.

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth