Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
> On Dec 31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes I have some question. You do not answered point given in #767754
>> about dpkg-divert. Moreover guillem and me consider that symlinking
>> lib is evil.
> Because I still do not really understand your objections nor which
> problems you are trying to solve, so I hope that somebody else more
> familiar with lintian development will be able to help.

It is not only about lintian it is about the quality of your maintscript.

Guillem and I said that your script is naive.

You said:
> + The package ships the two (or more) files with the same name
> + installed both in /{bin,sbin,lib*}/ and /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*}/.
> + This is incompatible with the everything-in-usr directories scheme.
> + .
> + Packages which need to do this must create in postinst one of the files
> + to be a symbolic link to the other one.

But you do not give example of script to do this. Moreover you do not
check the existance of dpkg-divert in
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/usrmerge.git/tree/convert-usrmerge
This is a RC bug to continue if they are dpkg-divert in place.

Moreover quoting guillem and me about creating symlink for library
under /lib if a pakage install both file in /lib /usr/lib
>> > I do not understand your comment.
>>
>> I means that binaries under s?bin and libraries are different beast. I
>> think the solution for library is to not use symlink (and delete one
>> of copy) because LD_PATH is always used whereas for bin you could call
>> it directly.
>
>Right

.Moreover, quoting guillem
>In addition, from what I've seen from the submitted patches, I'd
>probably check for the ownership of the pathname being symlinked to
>or removed, and if it is owned by another package bail out. Because
>dpkg will not be performing such checks at unpack time.

Thus we want to check if the dpkg maint script applied in case of
conflicts are good. And it is not a lintian problem.

Bastien