Re: AppStream / DEP-11 support now available in the Debian archive

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 02:24:38AM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> Coming from a science background myself, I like this idea very much!

:-)

> However, we shouldn't add each and every metadata to the AppStream
> document, so we would need to go through what the UpstreamMetadata
> project offers and see if we can integrate it with AppStream.
> The main purpose of AppStream is to provide data to have people decide
> if they want to install the software, its secondary purpose is to
> contain data which the users might find useful to know when browsing
> applications.

:-)

> I think having a <bibliography> tag or something similar would be
> pretty cool - searching in the AppStream data pool for applications
> associated with a publication, or just have the publications at hand
> when looking atthe application would be awesome!
>
> Even if there is useful data which we don't include in the AppStream
> data, we can probably link it and load it on-demand. I have some ideas
> for this for parts of AppStream (like the <releases> tag) already, but
> haven't worked out the details - so far, this is just early
> experimentation to see whether something like that makes sense.
>
> So, in summary: I'll look at the wiki page to familiarize a bit with
> your upstream-metadata project, so I can say something more
> meaningful. But I think adding most of the data to the AS metadata
> would be a good and viable idea :-)

Just to give some additional technical background:  The bibliographic
data are gathered in UDD in the table bibref.  I just noticed that there
is some problem with the umegaya importer[1] but I plan to tackle this
soon.  Once this is done the bibref example which can be seen here:

   http://blends.debian.net/packages-metadata/

will be updated again.  This is actually my test case for the importer
success (which has some flaws as discussed in [1]) and just an example
what can be currently done with the available data.  I guess there is
way more possible usage like a debhelper script doing some sensible
things with the bibliographic data (but so far not even a definition
what would be sensible).

Thanks for the AppStream initiative in general which has a big
potential also for Blends

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2015/12/msg00105.html

--