Re: AppStream / DEP-11 support now available in the Debian archive

> Hi Matthias,
>
> congratulation for this release !
>
> In the upstream-metadata project (https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata) we
> document some information, some of which is redundant with what is now found in
> AppStream, and some of which is not.
>
> For example, we document bibliographic reference to the scientific litterature
> where a given sofwtware has been published. This particular data has been the
> driving need behind the creation of upstream-metadata project. But the moment,
> I do not have enough free time to take care of the upstream-metadata project
> properly.
>
> Given that the scope of AppStream has grown, do you think that it could be
> further extended to support the kind of information that we distribute in the
> debian/upstream/metadata files ?

Coming from a science background myself, I like this idea very much!
However, we shouldn't add each and every metadata to the AppStream
document, so we would need to go through what the UpstreamMetadata
project offers and see if we can integrate it with AppStream.
The main purpose of AppStream is to provide data to have people decide
if they want to install the software, its secondary purpose is to
contain data which the users might find useful to know when browsing
applications.

I think having a <bibliography> tag or something similar would be
pretty cool - searching in the AppStream data pool for applications
associated with a publication, or just have the publications at hand
when looking atthe application would be awesome!

Even if there is useful data which we don't include in the AppStream
data, we can probably link it and load it on-demand. I have some ideas
for this for parts of AppStream (like the <releases> tag) already, but
haven't worked out the details - so far, this is just early
experimentation to see whether something like that makes sense.

So, in summary: I'll look at the wiki page to familiarize a bit with
your upstream-metadata project, so I can say something more
meaningful. But I think adding most of the data to the AS metadata
would be a good and viable idea :-)

Cheers & sorry for the delay in replying!
    Matthias