Re: Config upgrade with cme (was Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.)

Le 12/11/2015 18:36, Dominique Dumont a écrit :
> Hello Vincent
>
> On Wednesday 11 November 2015 17:11:13 Vincent Danjean wrote:
>>   I looked at [2] (cme seems really powerfull to offer automatic
>> upgrade/merge of config files). I've two questions after reading the wiki:
>>
>> 1) I vaguely recall recommendations/requirement that a package
>>   should/must not depends on a file in /usr/share/doc/pkg for its
>>   work (as this directory can be removed to get some place).
>>   The wiki says that "[LCDd.conf] is now delivered in
>>   /usr/share/doc/lcdproc and not in /etc/". Won't /usr/share/lcdproc
>>   be a better place ?
>
> cme does not use original LCDd.conf when upgrading user's configuration.
> Original LCDd.conf is placed in /usr/share/doc so that user wanting to bail
> out of automatic upgrade has a reference file to help him do manual edition of
> /etc/LCDd.conf.

Ok. I was thinking wrong. I was under the impression that cme used
the original LCDd.conf.

>> 2) "user will be asked *once* by debconf whether to use automatic
>>   configuration upgrades or not. * no further question will be asked
>>   (no ucf style questions)."
>>   Why not preparing (unconditionally) the new version of the configuration
>>   file with cmd [cme] and then use ucf to install it in /etc? That way,
>>   the user would be prompted only when he has done new changes since
>>   the last package upgrade (and the "install maintainer version" prompt
>>   would then install the cme built config file)
>
> Err, I don't really understand the problem you're trying to solve here...
>
> Are you suggesting to prompt user to approve that his "new changes since
> the last package upgrade" are propagated to the new version of the
> configuration file ??

Yes. I'm always a bit relunctant to not check that the merge of my
modif and upstream modif works well. It is probably because I only
used line-based merge methods (merge3, ...) that does not know
anything about the structure and the semantic of the file. cme is
probably way better here. I really need to try it.

  Thanks for your answers
  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA