Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

Le mardi 10 novembre 2015, 12:42:21 12:42:21 Alec Leamas a écrit :
> Also: updating the new config files, systemd or /etc/lirc/*, in
> maintainer scripts is not allowed [1] (?)

Not exactly. You're confusing "configuration file" and "conffile" (*). Both
can exists in /etc/. The latter is handled by dpkg.

A file delivered by a package in /etc automatically becomes a conffiles. In
this case, restriction mentioned in [1] apply.

On the other hand, if your post-inst script creates a configuration file in
/etc, this file is not handled by dpkg and is not a conffile.

That's what I did for to be able to upgrade automatically lcdproc
configuration [2] by cme in a postinstall script with dh_cme_upgrade  [3]

> Which means that what I could and should do is:
>   - Make a script which can handle update in most cases.
>   - Make manual update documentation.
>   - Have prominent notices in debian/NEWS about required disruptive
> configuration update with links to both tool and update docs.

This is allowed by [1] provided the migration scripts are run by user and not
by post-install scripts.

> My newbie skills cannot find anything better.

You're doing very well. :-)

All the best

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-conffiles.html
[2]
https://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade#Apply_configuration_upgrade_using_an_existing_model:_lcdproc_example
[3] http://manpages.org/dh_cme_upgrade

(*) it took me a while to understand the difference :o)