Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

  Hi,

Le 11/11/2015 16:52, Dominique Dumont a écrit :
> On the other hand, if your post-inst script creates a configuration file in
> /etc, this file is not handled by dpkg and is not a conffile.
>
> That's what I did for to be able to upgrade automatically lcdproc
> configuration [2] by cme in a postinstall script with dh_cme_upgrade  [3]

  I looked at [2] (cme seems really powerfull to offer automatic
upgrade/merge of config files). I've two questions after reading the wiki:

1) I vaguely recall recommendations/requirement that a package
  should/must not depends on a file in /usr/share/doc/pkg for its
  work (as this directory can be removed to get some place).
  The wiki says that "[LCDd.conf] is now delivered in
  /usr/share/doc/lcdproc and not in /etc/". Won't /usr/share/lcdproc
  be a better place ?

2) "user will be asked *once* by debconf whether to use automatic
  configuration upgrades or not. * no further question will be asked
  (no ucf style questions)."
  Why not preparing (unconditionally) the new version of the configuration
  file with cmd and then use ucf to install it in /etc? That way,
  the user would be prompted only when he has done new changes since
  the last package upgrade (and the "install maintainer version" prompt
  would then install the cme built config file)

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA