Re: Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

[ ⏰ 11/11/2015 18:14 ] [ ✎ Marc Haber ]
> Once and for all we're doing _SOMETHING_ right, let's keep it that
> way.
I do not agree that we are doing something exactly right. I would like
/etc to only contain what I changed (as a sysadmin), and nothing else ;
AND I would like to be warned if something I changed conflicts with a
change in the default.

Currently, /etc is large, much too large (dozens of MB of data, and I
changed maybe 1 kB of data in that).

It's just that we need something, probably akin to systemd-delta, to
automatically see the difference between the version carefully crafted
by the Debian packager, and the one carefully crafted by the local
sysadmin. We also need something that monitors this diff. Possibly, this
can be an enhanced ucf. But saying that the current situation is right,
is... wrong. We do something good wrt some feature, but we miss other
(and yes, reading 74 MB of data in /etc to know what was set for a
machine is wrong, and no, etckeeper helps but fails to be really
exploitable).

I don't even want to speak about the /etc files that act as cache data
and config mixed together (I am looking at you, CUPS).

Sincerely,

JCD