Re: Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:29:31 +0100, Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>
wrote:
>Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> I expect systemd users in other distributions would appreciate a
>> feature to track changes in the default configuration too.
>
>Many programs have builtin defaults that are used when they are not
>overwritten by a configuration file. How do you track the change of
>these defaults during the program evolution, and how is this different
>from a evolving default configuration in /usr/lib/?

It is custom that the configuration file contains comments and
documentation, says what is the default and usually contains a
commented out configuration option setting the default. I'd expect
these comments to change if the program's defaults change, which is
nicely caught by dpkg conffile handling.

It does not help to look for corner cases where Debian is not better
than the competition, it still excels in the majority of cases and the
Pöttering-Way of handling configuration is inferior to the way we
usually do things.

Once and for all we're doing _SOMETHING_ right, let's keep it that
way.

Greetings
Marc