Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

  Hi,

Le 10/11/2015 14:49, Andrew Shadura a écrit :
> I think you can try to do it systemd way: keep the default configuration
> in /usr/lib, and leave /etc for local user configuration which overrides
> the default config.
>
> Not sure how good is this idea, I hope others can comment on this.

  For myself, I find this a very bad behavior:
- etckeeper cannot track the evolution of the config files
- if I 'modify' a file by putting another one in /etc that overrides
  the default one in /usr, when the default will change I won't be
  notified
- when I want to look at the config of the software, I've to "merge"
  two files or even two directories (one in /etc and one in /usr)

  So, I would say: put the default file in /usr/share/ and use ucf
to install it in /etc where the software will read it. Bonus point:
ucf allows you to modify the file before installing it (ie the file
in /usr/share can be a template that will be adapted to targeted
system).

  Regards,
    Vincent

PS: about systemd, on my system, I've moved the default config files
into /etc so that etckeeper tracks it:

$ ls -l /lib/systemd/system
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 nov.  23  2014 /lib/systemd/system -> /etc/conffiles-out-etc/lib/systemd/system

It works perfectly (with regards to etckeeper, not with regards to
notification when a "modified" file is updated by the package) but
I would have preferred that config files (default or not) would have
all been in /etc from the begining.

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA