Re: Facilitating external repositories

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:48:35AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > For the latter, it is usually possible to supply a link to a ".repo"
> > file; for all of those distributions, tools exist to automagically
> > configure the system so that the repository is enabled and the gpg key
> > is added as a trusted key (after appropriate confirmation from the
> > user).
>
> Porting this stuff to Debian sounds like the right thing to do? Do you
> have any technical details about how that works?

It's different for every distribution, but basically the .repo file is
also what you store in their repository configuration (i.e., it's the
same file format). That means it can't really be done the same way for
us; a .repo file also contains information about which gpg key can be
used for that repository, but our sources.list file (or sources.list.d
snippets) doesn't contain that information.

Basically, it's "download, ask confirmation, store in right location"
for them; and since yum and zypper and friends don't need the equivalent
of "apt-get update", that just works. It won't for us (in that form),
though.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26