Re: Facilitating external repositories

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:38:29PM +0200, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> Hi Wouter,

> > On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 07:43:30PM +0200, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> >> I think this situation still allows maintaining the packages in
> >> Debian, when (if ever) your contract ends and you don't want to
> >> maintain the packages in your free time you can orphan the packages.
> >> The next maintainer could adopt the packages then.
> >
> > Sure, in theory. There are, however, also a few practical reasons why I
> > don't want to go down that route (that is, the reasons why I chose to
> > allow beid be dropped from Debian in 2010 still apply).
> I have reread the thread twice but I could not find details of the
> practical reasons.

That would be because they're not mentioned there :-)

> Could you please share them? A link would be enough if I just missed it.

- I don't want to have to deal with doing a maven build in a Debian
  package. If you see what the packages' debian/rules do, ou'll see that
  we cheat for eid-viewer.
- The packages exist mostly to support cards that have a limited
  validity. When they're no longer valid, you return the old one and get
  a new one. Sometimes, it happens that the newer cards have a bug, or
  have a new feature, or some such, which means that the old version of
  the software doesn't really work anymore, and you need a new one.
  Having older versions in the archive for years after they stop working
  turned out to be a support nightmare for upstream.