Re: Facilitating external repositories

On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 07:43:30PM +0200, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> I think this situation still allows maintaining the packages in
> Debian, when (if ever) your contract ends and you don't want to
> maintain the packages in your free time you can orphan the packages.
> The next maintainer could adopt the packages then.

Sure, in theory. There are, however, also a few practical reasons why I
don't want to go down that route (that is, the reasons why I chose to
allow beid be dropped from Debian in 2010 still apply).

> I think this is simple, doable and does not require building trust
> with external repositories which I think is not a great idea
> generally.

I disagree with that latter statement.

That's not to say that these external repositories need to be supported
and/or trusted to the same extent as our own repositories, but that's a
different question.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26