Re: Facilitating external repositories

Hi Wouter,

> On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 07:43:30PM +0200, Bálint Réczey wrote:
>> I think this situation still allows maintaining the packages in
>> Debian, when (if ever) your contract ends and you don't want to
>> maintain the packages in your free time you can orphan the packages.
>> The next maintainer could adopt the packages then.
>
> Sure, in theory. There are, however, also a few practical reasons why I
> don't want to go down that route (that is, the reasons why I chose to
> allow beid be dropped from Debian in 2010 still apply).
I have reread the thread twice but I could not find details of the
practical reasons.
Could you please share them? A link would be enough if I just missed it.

I for example maintain a repository for kodi for for more than a half
year because it sits in the NEW queue and I can't tell how happy I
would be if I could stop building it for amd64, i386 and mipsel (which
is really slow) again and again and I also have to tell armhf users to
wait for official builds because I don't have the HW to build it.

I see eid-mw is built on for i386 and amd64, while I assume it would
build and work perfectly on arm* laptops and computers as well:
https://files.eid.belgium.be/debian/pool/main/e/eid-mw/

Cheers,
Balint