Re: Q: why binary-log by systemd-journald is not enabled by default?

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 12:56:43AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2015, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > The on-disk persistent journal (/var/log/journal) is disabled because at
> > the moment, Debian systems use syslog by default (via rsyslog), and
> > enabling the persistent journal would result in two copies of log
> > messages.
> >
> > Since the journal is capable of capturing messages sent to syslog, I'm
> > hoping that at some point the systemd source package will build a binary
> > package that installs /var/log/journal and Provides the
> > system-log-daemon and linux-kernel-log-daemon virtual packages.  (As
> > well as a non-default one that provides the same virtual packages but
> > doesn't provide the persistent journal directory, for systems that want
> > transient in-memory logging only.)
>
> And I wish it would keep /var/log/dmesg (and its rotation).  That thing is
> really useful for user support when dealing with kernel and boot issues.
>
> I consider the lack of /var/log/dmesg updates in jessie under systemd to be
> a relevant regression, as journal persistence is not enabled by default.

Leaving aside the persistence issue (for which kern.log seems like a
somewhat reasonable substitute), once we have persistent journaling
enabled, journalctl's -b option should address this, by making it
convenient to access the journal data from a particular boot.

- Josh Triplett