Re: Q: why binary-log by systemd-journald is not enabled by default?

On May 09 2015, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> Hideki Yamane wrote:
>> We've switched to systemd and I've noticed that journald feature is
>> not enabled. I can easily do it as README.Debian suggested, but wonder
>> why logging by journald is not enabled by default.
>>
>> Is there any reason? (just a curious)
>
> The in-memory non-persistent journal (/run/log/journal) is enabled; if
> you run journalctl you can see the logs from the current boot.
>
> The on-disk persistent journal (/var/log/journal) is disabled because at
> the moment, Debian systems use syslog by default (via rsyslog), and
> enabling the persistent journal would result in two copies of log
> messages.

In addition, at least for me it reliably gets corrupted every few weeks
(even in the absence of any system crashes). Typically journalctl
--verify reports a "Invalid tail monotonic timestamp", and I have to
remove the affected journal file to fix it.

#764557

Best,
-Nikolaus