Re: Developer repositories for Debian

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

> people.d.o AFAIK is _only_ for DD. Anyway, if I can see it correctly it's only
> web space.
>
> My ppa propose could be also useful for Debian members. I think that new
> packages, are controller by ftp-masters, so any help to create a new package
> could be welcome.

I think you may have misunderstood the proposal that this thread is
about. The proposal was not for a PPA system like on Launchpad where
any member of the public can register an account and immediately
upload packages. The access policy for the proposed Debian PPA system
was to be exactly the same as for the rest of the Debian archive; only
accessible by uploading Debian members (aka DDs), others need to go
through a sponsor. In that sense, it is almost exactly the same as
people.d.o or *.debian.net.

https://lists.debian.org/87y5btehw3.fsf@gkar.ganneff.de

> One interesting thing of mentors is that the packages are checked by lintian,
> so you need some binary ...

You definitely do not need to upload binaries to mentors.

> many times is better that someone more test it, because some more eyes could
> found more problems. Also, different environments could help to find strange
> incompatibilities.

Agreed.

> Many people don't have website and don't want to maintain a website.
> ...not all the people have this kind services.

This is true, most people use Facebook as their "website" these days,
which doesn't support uploading arbitrary files in a directory
structure. Surely technical people who are contributing to Debian
probably have access to a way to do this though?

> I cannot understand why you have this opposition. They idea is that the
> project could offer the option to build packages for Debian.

We already have that:

https://buildd.debian.org/
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

I'm not sure how/if the PPA proposal will use these machines though.

> that you could say that, then you will have a lot of packages, maybe without
> quality, and you don't want the make a relation between that packages and the
> official ones. But, this is another thing.

Indeed.

> Not only non-x86. I work _only_ with amd64 arch. In theory, it should not be
> necessary to have another pbuild environment for 32 bit: they are quite
> identical. However, I can say that we suffered in one bug of our packages
> because, in 32 bits, sometimes FTBFS because an strange combination of memory
> and parallel compilation. And, we were three persons involved in that package:
> two uploaders and one sponsor.

Sounds like an "interesting" bug :)

For building on i386 I'd just use pbuilder and or qemu.

If people would like to be able to build/test on other arches before
uploading to Debian, there are some options already:

Debian members can login to Debian porterboxen and run
builds/tests/etc in various chroots:

https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

Debian contributors can get guest accounts on the Debian porterboxen
and do the same:

https://dsa.debian.org/doc/guest-account/

Anyone can buy or solicit donations of hardware and build/test on those.
Anyone can use the existing services (LAVA, GCC, OpenPOWER and cloud providers).

https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Wanted

--
bye,
pabs