Re: Developer repositories for Debian

El Diumenge, 10 de maig de 2015, a les 10:47:27, Paul Wise va escriure:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > El Dissabte, 9 de maig de 2015, a les 09:23:26, Mechtilde va escriure:
> >> Why can't you use people.debian.org for this?
> >
> > It's not an option for a non developer member. :-(
>
> If you are a member of Debian, you have access to people.debian.org,
> whether you are a developer or a non-uploading member. I guess you are
> talking about people who are not members of Debian? If so, IIRC the
> proposed PPA system is not for people who are not members of Debian
> (except via sponsorship).

people.d.o AFAIK is _only_ for DD. Anyway, if I can see it correctly it's only
web space.

My ppa propose could be also useful for Debian members. I think that new
packages, are controller by ftp-masters, so any help to create a new package
could be welcome.

> > mentors.d.o could help, but you must sent the binary
>
> You can upload to mentors without sending binary packages, in fact
> mentors ignores any binary packages (except it checks them with
> lintian).

One interesting thing of mentors is that the packages are checked by lintian,
so you need some binary ...

> > So, I think that it could be very interesting for the project to have some
>
> > kind of service, similar to ppa that:
> Why is a service needed? Everyone who has a computer should be able to
> install a Debian chroot or VM, build there, test the resulting
> packages etc and publish them on their website.

if I'm not wrong launchpad now has 36,357 projects. Every project could have
more than one ppa, and could have not ppa. I think that it could be
interesting ...

I agree that

>"Everyone who has a computer should be able to install a Debian chroot or VM,
build there"

but

> test the resulting packages etc

many times is better that someone more test it, because some more eyes could
found more problems. Also, different environments could help to find strange
incompatibilities.

>  publish them on their website.

Many people don't have website and don't want to maintain a website. Because I
work for a public university and I have the resources to have a server
connected 24/365 but not all the people have this kind services.

I cannot understand why you have this opposition. They idea is that the
project could offer the option to build packages for Debian. Another thing is
that you could say that, then you will have a lot of packages, maybe without
quality, and you don't want the make a relation between that packages and the
official ones. But, this is another thing.

For whom like me, want to build packages for the project, it could be a very
useful tool.

> The only thing a service would be needed for is non-x86 architectures
> AFAICT.

Not only non-x86. I work _only_ with amd64 arch. In theory, it should not be
necessary to have another pbuild environment for 32 bit: they are quite
identical. However, I can say that we suffered in one bug of our packages
because, in 32 bits, sometimes FTBFS because an strange combination of memory
and parallel compilation. And, we were three persons involved in that package:
two uploaders and one sponsor.

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia