Re: Developer repositories for Debian

El Dilluns, 11 de maig de 2015, a les 11:52:13, Paul Wise va escriure:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > people.d.o AFAIK is _only_ for DD. Anyway, if I can see it correctly it's
> > only web space.
> >
> > My ppa propose could be also useful for Debian members. I think that new
> > packages, are controller by ftp-masters, so any help to create a new
> > package could be welcome.
>
> I think you may have misunderstood the proposal that this thread is
> about. The proposal was not for a PPA system like on Launchpad where
> any member of the public can register an account and immediately
> upload packages. The access policy for the proposed Debian PPA system
> was to be exactly the same as for the rest of the Debian archive; only
> accessible by uploading Debian members (aka DDs), others need to go
> through a sponsor. In that sense, it is almost exactly the same as
> people.d.o or *.debian.net.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/87y5btehw3.fsf@gkar.ganneff.de

I misunderstood the proposal but after read the complete history I agree in
general. It looks like it's a very cool project. If the creation of pps could
be a more open that not _only_ DD, to me is perfect. At least DM.

> > One interesting thing of mentors is that the packages are checked by
> > lintian, so you need some binary ...
>
> You definitely do not need to upload binaries to mentors.

I do not understand how lintian can do a complete check without binaries. For
instance is a package is empty or not, or if you have installed a binary
without manpage, or the sonames are correct or not. But probably I have
misunderstood something in the thread.

[...]
> > I cannot understand why you have this opposition. They idea is that the
> > project could offer the option to build packages for Debian.
>
> We already have that:
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/
> https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
>
> I'm not sure how/if the PPA proposal will use these machines though.

only for DD...

> > that you could say that, then you will have a lot of packages, maybe
> > without quality, and you don't want the make a relation between that
> > packages and the official ones. But, this is another thing.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Not only non-x86. I work _only_ with amd64 arch. In theory, it should not
> > be necessary to have another pbuild environment for 32 bit: they are
> > quite identical. However, I can say that we suffered in one bug of our
> > packages because, in 32 bits, sometimes FTBFS because an strange
> > combination of memory and parallel compilation. And, we were three
> > persons involved in that package: two uploaders and one sponsor.
>
> Sounds like an "interesting" bug :)
>
> For building on i386 I'd just use pbuilder and or qemu.
>
> If people would like to be able to build/test on other arches before
> uploading to Debian, there are some options already:
>
> Debian members can login to Debian porterboxen and run
> builds/tests/etc in various chroots:
>
> https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
>
> Debian contributors can get guest accounts on the Debian porterboxen
> and do the same:
>
> https://dsa.debian.org/doc/guest-account/

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

> Anyone can buy or solicit donations of hardware and build/test on those.
> Anyone can use the existing services (LAVA, GCC, OpenPOWER and cloud
> providers).
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Wanted

Thanks.

Well, now just wait to see.

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia