Re: Experimental ddeb support in debhelper and lintian (Was: Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 09:50:00AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:10 AM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
>
> >   I would presume most derivatives aren't using it either
>
> Most derivatives appear to use reprepro but there is one using apt-ftparchive
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusFull

I knew it. I had a look at the census page especially as the list had
a discussion about it recently, but couldn't find the field there. Not
all derivatives seem to declare it and I looked at the wrong ones…

I know that a "few" are using it which haven't declared it. Ubuntu e.g.
does (at least that is what I figure from the bugreports).
The point was mainly: apt-ftparchive/jessie doesn't support it out of
the box, but its easy to change that if someone would need it.

(I have my doubts that all others do support it out of the box either)

> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Lihuen

That is an interesting. The script they use does use the manual steps
'packages' and so on, it does mention 'generate' in a comment through.
Gonna talk to them (and d-derivatives@ at large) later. They aren't
supporting InRelease nor .xz for example which would be nice if they do.

> > I think there will be some work upon us to make ddebs supported well
> > (I invision something like a "apt-get debugsymbols foo" which installs
> > the package foo-dbgsym and maybe optionally also the debug packages of
> > the direct dependencies libfoo1 (libfoo-dbgsym) and libbar0.1
> > (python3-bar-dbgsym as it is the c-binding of a python library as you
> > might (not) have guessed).) but lets get them first, shall we? :)
>
> As a user of debug packages I'd like installing foo-dbg to pull in all
> the -dbg packages I would need to dump a backtrace from GDB. So
> basically all recursive reverse dependencies.

That can be very quickly quite a set of packages. apt ~23, apititude
~40, mpv (similar to mplayer) ~159, kate (KDEs "notepad") ~465. [0]
That can be tuned by excluding non-libraries, but that has its own
drawbacks (private libraries shared between a very closely related set
of packages for example), aka:

For a quickshot direct dependencies are probably enough (personal
observation; the times I needed debug symbols for non-direct
dependencies are far and in between, but maybe I am just lucky).
If you wanna go fullcircle, its probably better to analyse a core-dump
for which symbols are needed exactly instead of getting everything.

I think Ubuntu has a tool dubbed apport-retrace (Debian has it in
experimental only) which is supposed to do that (but I just remember
hearing the name in this context, nothing more)

[0] very hacky approximation with
apt-cache depends apt --important --no-conflicts --no-replaces
--no-breaks --recurse -o APT::Architectures="amd64" -o
APT::Cache::ShowOnlyFirstOr=1 | grep -v '^ ' | wc -l

Best regards

David Kalnischkies