Re: Experimental ddeb support in debhelper and lintian (Was: Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:10 AM, David Kalnischkies wrote:

>   I would presume most derivatives aren't using it either

Most derivatives appear to use reprepro but there is one using apt-ftparchive

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusFull
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Lihuen

> I think there will be some work upon us to make ddebs supported well
> (I invision something like a "apt-get debugsymbols foo" which installs
> the package foo-dbgsym and maybe optionally also the debug packages of
> the direct dependencies libfoo1 (libfoo-dbgsym) and libbar0.1
> (python3-bar-dbgsym as it is the c-binding of a python library as you
> might (not) have guessed).) but lets get them first, shall we? :)

As a user of debug packages I'd like installing foo-dbg to pull in all
the -dbg packages I would need to dump a backtrace from GDB. So
basically all recursive reverse dependencies.

> btw: Is it planed to drop them into their own repository/component or
> are we gone blow up our regular Packages files with them? (you might
> guess from the wording which way I would prefer).

IIRC it was always planned to put them in a separate place.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise