Experimental ddeb support in debhelper and lintian (Was: Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?)

On 2015-04-04 09:54, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 avril 2015 à 19:37 +0200, Esokrates a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am particularly interested in automatic debug packages, as the current
>> situation is pretty messy imho. I found
>> https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages.
>> Does anyone know the status of this? Will this be a goal for Stretch?
>> This and reproducible builds would make Debian the perfect distribution for
>> me.
>> Whats in the way of making it happen? Lack of people willing to do it?
>
> Last time I checked, dak was still missing code to handle the
> generated .ddeb files.
>
> Cheers,

And it *still* does!  But there are a few things that have changed!

 * There is an experimental branch for debhelper to generate these
   automatically available.
   - Requires a "export DH_BUILD_DDEBS=1" to trigger the code path
   - It applies to *all* compat levels.
   - Trying to get the reproducible team to try it out to see if it
     regresses anything (incl. reproducible builds)
   - It *does* cause dpkg-genchanges to emit warnings about
     uninitialized values (I think 3 per ddeb).  Related to #781074
   - DOES *NOT* PRODUCE DDEBS FOR PACKAGES COVERED BY AN EXISTING -dbg!
   - DOES *NOT* ADD BREAKS/REPLACES FOR MIGRATING FROM -dbg TO .ddeb!
   - Branch at [DH-BRANCH]
 * Half-done branch for lintian to actually look at ddebs
   - Known false-positive triggered for ddebs (output says FIXME, so
     it should be trivial to spot).
   - Branch at [LINT-BRANCH]

The resulting debs are installable with dpkg -i ( \o/ ).  I have not
tried anything fancy like setting up a local APT mirror and tried to
convince APT do install it.

*Known to be missing*:

 * Documentation in debhelper (incl. changelog entries)
 * A solution to the "-dbg => .ddeb" migration, so you can do a -2
   upload that uses .ddeb instead of "-dbg" and *not* get file
   conflicts.
 * FTP master approval + dak support
   - Possibly a solution that does not double the size of Packages.
 * APT support or verification that it works out of the box
   - help welcome.
 * dpkg (dpkg-genchanges) should pref. not emit "uninitialised" warnings
   - Probably related #781074.  My guess is that a call to debarch_eq
     is the source of all warnings.  I have not pinpointed which call.

... and I am late for something now, so I will cut it short here.

Enjoy,
~Niels

[DH-BRANCH]:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/nthykier/debhelper.git/log/?h=super-cow-ddebs-support