Re: r-base-core upload to unstable does not respect freeze policy

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 04:28:25PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >It's *everything* to do with transitions to testing.
> >
> >r-base 3.1.2-2 does not meet the requirements for a freeze exception
> >and as such will not be in jessie. Due to the way your automatic
> >depenency generation works, any package building against that version
> >of r-base will also not be eligible for transition.
>
> I missed that the dependency generation is for CDBS-using packages.
> I'm not sure what proportion of R packages that is.

All R packages are building with

include /usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk

which contains:

rversion        := $(shell dpkg-query -W -f='$${Version}' r-base-dev)
                ## support ${R:Depends} via debian/${package}.substvars
                echo "R:Depends=r-base-core (>= ${rversion})" >> debian/$(package).substvars

which is IMHO to strict which was discussed previously (for instance
here [1]).  The package does only require a certain API and not
necessarily the latest available r-base-core.  While the strict
dependency does not harm in general it potentially does in situations
like this specific one.  (However, even the relaxed dependency in [1]
would have not helped in the current case.)

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=704805#15

--