Re: Should fast-evolving packages be backports-only?

On November 11, 2014 12:22:57 PM EST, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>Rebecca N. Palmer <rebecca_palmer@zoho.com> (2014-11-11):
>> It has been recently stated [0-1] that backports is enabled by
>> default in Jessie.
>
>Yes, and that's a bug. See #764982.
>
>> 1. Does that mean that if pkgX is in jessie-backports but not
>> jessie, "apt-get install pkgX" will install it from -backports?
>
>Yes. And that's the reason why I'm going to disable jessie-backports
>by default when I process my todo list.

As long as apt prefers a version from stable over a version from backports when both are available (unless instructed to install from backports) why is this a problem?

It seems more user friendly to me for a package that's been specifically ask for to end up installed rather than not.

Scott K