Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

Le Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 01:19:05AM +0100, Wookey a écrit :
> +++ Michael Gilbert [2014-07-15 18:39 -0400]:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > It would be nice, however, to have a way to specify the alternate behavior in
> > > a consistent reliable way (meaning something I can put in the package when I
> > > add source/format).
> >
> > Archive consistency is far more important than individual maintainer
> > preference about this behavior.  People that work on lots of different
> > packages deserve dpkg-source to act consistently across the entire
> > archive.
>
> I would strongly second this view. As a porter it is a very good thing
> thing that all quilt/3.0 packages behave the same way, whatever the
> maintainer's preferences. Having some aply patches and some not, would
> just be yet another source of random oddness in packages, and we have
> more than enough of that already.

Hi Wookey,

viewed from the opposite side of the chain, I have the impression that in most
cases where I receive a report that package X does not build on architecture Y,
it is a pure waste of time, since that package has no user base on that
architecture.

Patch systems have a high importance in Debian because we accumulate patches
that have little relevance for Upstream and the software's users.  One of the
solution is to standardise the patch systems, but another solution is to stop
producing patches that have no practical impact for the users.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan