Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

+++ Michael Gilbert [2014-07-15 18:39 -0400]:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > It would be nice, however, to have a way to specify the alternate behavior in
> > a consistent reliable way (meaning something I can put in the package when I
> > add source/format).
>
> Archive consistency is far more important than individual maintainer
> preference about this behavior.  People that work on lots of different
> packages deserve dpkg-source to act consistently across the entire
> archive.

I would strongly second this view. As a porter it is a very good thing
thing that all quilt/3.0 packages behave the same way, whatever the
maintainer's preferences. Having some aply patches and some not, would
just be yet another source of random oddness in packages, and we have
more than enough of that already.

> This would be far better solved with a system conffile of some sort
> like /etc/dpkg/dpkg-source.cfg, which admittedly doesn't exist yet.

Agreed.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/