let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

Yesterday I touched another package without the debian/source/format file.
It was sad: I had to repackage the entire upstream tarball to switch from .xz to
.gz only to make dpkg happy and recognize it as non-native.
For me this is a nonsense.

Lintian has a info tag for this for a lot of time:
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/missing-debian-source-format.html and in fact the
package without that file are decrasing, but very slowly, making unnecessary
difficult to contribue for prospective new contributers, and in the long term
really deprecating the source format 1.0.

Someone opened a bug against lintian: https://bugs.debian.org/702671 and I rised
myself this concern to lintian maintainers, but it turn out that there are
people that does not want lintian to be too pedantic nor to be forced to do as a
simple thing as adding a 10-bytes file to their debian packages.
In fact I'm wondering what is the rationale to stay with the 1.0 format, given
all the benefits of the 3.0 (quilt) format:
https://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

So, I would like to see what is the collective idea of the debian developers as
a whole (or something like that, given that there not so much active developers
in this ML, compared to the active people).

--
regards,
						Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 4096R/B9444540	http://goo.gl/I8TMB