Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

>>> Also, post-upgrade-pre-reboot systems has had issues since forever,

>> No.  There have been very few instances in which the system was left in
>> an unusable state after a dist-upgrade, even for desktops.

> On desktops, upgrades of iceweasel and icedove regularly break
> currently running instances of these programs in subtle ways
> (e.g. download status window no longer opens).

And I believe this whole thread started with a discussion of the power
button no longer working.  I have seen that sort of behavior off and on
for years after dist-upgrade.  Certain types of upgrades have a tendency
to interfere with power management until the system has been rebooted.

If folks are tracking down those bugs and want to fix them, that's great,
but I've never bothered to file that bug because it struck me as so
unimportant that it wasn't worth my time to write up a bug report.  I
expect to have to reboot the system cleanly after a variety of types of
upgrades (kernel upgrades, for example, obviously); a few more isn't
something I even notice.