Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On 2014-07-01, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> The question is which of these is a worse outcome for the jessie release.  I
> come down firmly on the side that breaking desktops on upgrade is a worse
> outcome than being behind on the latest and greatest user session interface=
> s.

We already have broken desktops-on-upgrade with current systemd-shim in
the archive. And it is even broken after reboot.
It might be bugs in the desktop related packages, but it is also a very
low priority one.

Also, post-upgrade-pre-reboot systems has had issues since forever, and
I think even the upgrade notes recommends to not dist-upgrade from
within X.

So, where do we want to put our resources?
Improving the actual experience once fully upgraded and rebooted? Or
ensure a better experience when in the middle of the upgrade and not yet
rebooted?

I know where I would put the resources I can allocate.

/Sune