Re: Embedded systems and systemd

]] Josh Triplett

> Simon Richter wrote:
> > On 28.11.2014 09:43, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > The official name of the Debian fork is devuan: https://devuan.org
> > > It will be interesting to see how many Debian Maintainers and
> > > Developers will jump the ship and join them (in addition to the
> > > users). Future will tell...
> >
> > Well, not me.
> >
> > While the situation sucks for embedded systems, I doubt this project
> > will gain sufficient traction to provide a better alternative, so the
> > result is basically going back to square one and providing the
> > necessary tools for embedded system development from emdebian.org.
>
> Why, precisely, do you foresee future problems with embedded systems
> development?  Personally, I'm looking forward to a much easier time
> building future embedded systems using systemd, or the occasional
> too-small-for-anything-else embedded system (that couldn't run standard
> sysvinit or Debian for that matter) using a dedicated
> init=/custom-program.

I'm not Simon, but one valid argument I've heard is that embedded stuff
has a tendency to get stuck on old vendor kernels, something that
doesn't work so well when systemd uses newer kernel interfaces.

Apart from «don't use new kernel interfaces» (something that upstream
won't do, ditto for adding workarounds fro old kernels), I don't really
see this as easily fixable.

--
Tollef Fog Heen