Re: systemd, fstab, noauto and nofail

On 22/11/14 17:01, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think it's going to be pretty rare to have a system that
> has /lib and /etc mounted but can't start ssh.  In theory, that's possible
> with a split / and /usr, but as we've discussed in other threads, that's
> an extremely unusual configuration these days.

Perhaps more to the point, Debian's initramfs-generator has been
modified to mount /usr as well as the root, so only systems that have no
initramfs *and* split /usr will get as far as exec()ing systemd without
first mounting /usr (which is a situation considered to be  unsupported
by systemd upstream).

If sshd uses (or can be made to use) IP_FREEBIND to remove the potential
dependency on bringing up network interfaces, then
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service could have DefaultDependencies=no,
RequiresMountsFor=/usr /lib /etc, and drop its dependency on
network.target. That sounds like a job for stretch rather than jessie to
me, though.