Re: systemd, fstab, noauto and nofail

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 07:17:55PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:

> If sshd uses (or can be made to use) IP_FREEBIND to remove the potential
> dependency on bringing up network interfaces, then
> /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service could have DefaultDependencies=no,
> RequiresMountsFor=/usr /lib /etc, and drop its dependency on
> network.target. That sounds like a job for stretch rather than jessie to
> me, though.

Why?  If this works, it's a major improvement to the usability of systemd in
the case of boot problems, which we've said we're using by default in
jessie.  If we can't get fixes like this in during the freeze, then I think
we've frozen too early given the current state of systemd integration.

FWIW, attempts to start sshd early under upstart were ultimately rolled back
because we don't want sshd starting up before we have entropy - which for
sysvinit and upstart is handled by /etc/init.d/urandom.  systemd appears to
use /lib/systemd/system/systemd-random-seed.service for this; any changes to
ssh should ensure that it's started strictly after system-random-seed.