Re: systemd, fstab, noauto and nofail

Quoting Russ Allbery (2014-11-22 18:01:12)
> I also like the idea of not having ssh depend on all local file
> systems to be mounted.  I think it's going to be pretty rare to have a
> system that has /lib and /etc mounted but can't start ssh.  In theory,
> that's possible with a split / and /usr, but as we've discussed in
> other threads, that's an extremely unusual configuration these days.

It surprises me that it is considered "extremely unusual": It is an
option offered in stable debian-installer without any advanced trickery
(just select LVM and pick the last option) - I quite commonly use that,
and would be surprised if I am alone in that.

I pick that option to avoid e.g. video editing that accidentally fills
$HOME to wreak havoc on postfix processing (only stall local delivery).

(yes, I recently noticed there is also an option to separate $HOME from
the rest, and I don't recall why I didn't pick that in the past - but my
point here is not which option is best for new installs but the
likelihood of existing installs having split / and /usr).

Could someone please point to the posts concluding it being "extremely
unusual"?

 - Jonas