Re: systemd, fstab, noauto and nofail

Noel Torres <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:

> Many thanks

> I do not understand, then, how this is different from what sysvinit's
> mountall.sh does (or at least what I understand it does).

As I understand it, sysvinit didn't care whether mountall.sh succeeded or
failed.  So even if a bunch of mounts failed, it went on to boot the
system, including everything that wasn't supposed to start until after all
file systems were mounted.

That meant that some folks have systems that they think are happily
booting with sysvinit with a bunch of failing mounts, and, when they
switch to systemd, things that declare a dependency on mounted file
systems never start because the file systems aren't successfully mounted.