Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:10:58AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Having a single tool that does the basic stuff admins and maintainers need
> > independent of init system seems like the right approach to me. "*-rc.d"
> > is a terrible name for such a tool, though :(
> Err, yes.  There were complains about the -rc.d prefix way back in Debconf2,
> but the truth is the ship had sailed already (due to update-rc.d).
> Migrating to a new tool with a less obnoxious name isn't a problem,

Heh, "isn't a problem" seems a bit understated...

> but this
> needs to be planned carefully as it is going to span at least two stable
> releases.  And invoke-rc.d and update-rc.d compatibility interfaces will
> have to be kept around for a *long* time, probably for at least two more
> stable releases, to avoid breaking things for third-party packages that
> don't use the LSB compatibility layer.

If deb-systemd-* were to get merged in, it might be worth doing a name
change at the same time, I guess. Changing either before jessie doesn't
seem remotely plausible.

I wonder if it would make sense to just merge it all into the "service"
command; ie:

   # service --use-policy ssh start
   # service --use-policy ssh restart
   # service ssh enable
   # service acpid.socket mask-for-upgrade

in place of:

   # invoke-rc.d ssh start
   # invoke-rc.d ssh restart
   # update-rc.d ssh enable
   # deb-systemd-helper mask acpid.socket

I wonder a bit if it wouldn't make even more sense to just make the common
command be "systemctl", with Debian-specific patches for --use-policy
and the various extra behaviours where necessary. Maybe just having a
"systemctl" script with mostly compatible syntax provided for alternative
inits would be a better approach. (The disadvantage to that would be
that systemctl's a C program, so patching Debian specific options would
be harder than with sh/perl scripts like service/deb-systemd-*/*-rc.d)

Cheers,
aj