Re: veto?

Hi,

Peter Samuelson:

> Do you mean, perhaps, that the Further Discussion option in a GR should
> be weighted much more heavily than other options, so that it can beat
> another option if only a few people rank it higher?  I am not in favor
> of that.

You can't give any one option more "weight" in a Condorcet election because
each input vote is a ranking of options. You _could_ require the Condorcet
winner to have a 2:1 (or 1.5:1 or …) supermajority over FD.

IMHO, doing this would not be good for Debian, for reasons already stated.

> Or perhaps you mean there should be an official platform where someone
> can say, effectively, "Before deciding to do X, you should take into
> account that I, someone directly involved in its implementation, will
> not help because I'm not convinced X is a good idea.  Also, this may
> demotivate me from related work Y and Z." But, well, anybody can
> already say that.

Exactly. That platform already exists, it's called "debian-vote" (or -devel
or -project … take your pick).

> Anyway... I don't really see people leaving because of a decision they
> disagree with.

I assume that some do, but they're doing it quietly.

If the systemd decision had gone the other way (i.e. pro Upstart), I would
have done the same thing.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs