Re: relative path in -dbg packages

Mathieu Malaterre:
> While reading the wiki page for AutomaticDebugPackages, I was
> wondering if it is possible to post-processed object file to
> manipulate relatives path for debug info ?

As part of the reproducible builds effort [1], it has so far proven to
be very difficult to do so in a consistant manner. Be it with debugedit
or -fdebug-prefix-map. Building packages in the right directory from the
beginning is much more easier.

> 2. Is it possible to reserve a system path for debug information, eg
> all debug paths should start with "/usr/src/debug"

During discussions at DebConf14 [2], there was a consensus that a
canonical build path in (at least) pbuilder and sbuild would be a pretty
sensible requirement. We thought of `/usr/src/debian/hello-2.8-1`.
Users would then be able to unpack a source package in the same location
and have gdb happy without further configuration.

 [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
 [2]: https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/reproducible-builds/Week-of-Mon-20140901/000198.html

(Please Cc: me in replies, I am not subscribed to -devel.)

--
Lunar                                .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism