Re: systemd / syslog issue (was Re: Being part of a community and behaving)

Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org> writes:

> ● syslog-ng.service - System Logger Daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service; disabled)
>    Active: active (running) since Thu 2014-11-13 21:36:20 EST; 18min ago
>      Docs: man:syslog-ng(8)
>  Main PID: 13370 (syslog-ng)
>    CGroup: /system.slice/syslog-ng.service
>            └─13370 /usr/sbin/syslog-ng -F

> So it claims the syslog-ng service is disabled.

My guess is failure to sync status properly at some point during the
upgrade process, so the fact the init system was enabled somehow didn't
translate into enabling the unit file.  This is the work that
deb-systemd-helper is supposed to do.

systemctl enable syslog-ng should fix the problem on that system
permanently.  It's going to be trickier to figure out where the problem
was introduced, sadly.  :/

Now I'm wondering if some of the folks thinking that systemd implies
binary logging are getting bitten by the same bug that you're getting
bitten by and just didn't realize it wasn't intentional.