Enable external repository on package installation

Hello,

I am the maintainer of witty, a C++ library for web development.

In addition to the latest version of Debian, I provide backports of the package for all the supported versions of Ubuntu in a PPA, and for Debian oldstable in an OBS repository. I have been doing this for years.

So far, people find about this repositories in the Wt website. Many Ubuntu users do enable it. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to add a debconf question to the official package. Something like:

"Do you want to enable an external repository which will provide you with the latest version of Wt?

This repository is maintained by the official Debian/Ubuntu maintainer but it is not endorsed or supported by Debian/Ubuntu."

Answering "yes" would install a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wt.list file.

Is this acceptable? Has anyone ever done this and can talk about his experience?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org