Re: Enable external repository on package installation

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:00:14 AM Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am the maintainer of witty, a C++ library for web development.
>
> In addition to the latest version of Debian, I provide backports of the
> package for all the supported versions of Ubuntu in a PPA, and for Debian
> oldstable in an OBS repository. I have been doing this for years.
>
> So far, people find about this repositories in the Wt website. Many Ubuntu
> users do enable it. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to add a
> debconf question to the official package. Something like:
>
> "Do you want to enable an external repository which will provide you with
> the latest version of Wt?
>
> This repository is maintained by the official Debian/Ubuntu maintainer but
> it is not endorsed or supported by Debian/Ubuntu."
>
> Answering "yes" would install a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wt.list file.
>
> Is this acceptable? Has anyone ever done this and can talk about his
> experience?

You might have increase the possibility of a positive outcome if you find and
propose a solution that can be reused for all kinds of unofficial debian
repositories:

https://wiki.debian.org/UnofficialRepositories

The list is missing the repositories for Obnam by Lars Wirzenius and the
mozilla.debian.net repository for newer versions of Iceweasel.

It would be wonderful if there'd be a web service run by debian that provides
a list of known unofficial repositories along with their signing keys. Then
users could choose additional repositories and also choose if they want to
trust the signing keys and the good intentions and knowledge of the persons
running the unofficial repositories.

Regards, Thomas Koch