Re: Contact copyright holder / ask for free software license

Am Donnerstag, den 09.10.2014, 10:53 +0200 schrieb Filippo Rusconi:
> Greetings,
>
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 01:51:31AM +0200, Michael Ole Olsen wrote:
> >Contacting copyright holder and asking them to release under
> >GPL or such is not a bad idea.
> >even if they say no they might consider it in the future.
>
> Even better, in my experience, if the mail introducing the problem is
> well conceived, the authors are generally favourable. Especially if
> they did not license their software at all. Recently it took me one
> single mail to go from a proprietary license state to a GPL3+ licensed
> state. I usually offer two licenses as examples, even providing a
> short explanation of the choice between "permissive" (BSD-3-clause)
> and "restrictive" (GPL3). All of this also applies to documentation
> (and is part of my experience). Usually, making authors switch from
> the almost automatic "All rights reserved" motto to GPL (or similar)
> is not unfeasible.

Do we have a wiki page or similar containing this information? It would
be nice to have a page for guiding people (that are unaware, but not
against free software) to make good license choices.

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

ProfitBricks GmbH - The IaaS-Company
Greifswalder Str. 207
D - 10405 Berlin

Mail: benjamin.drung@profitbricks.com
Fax:  +49 30 577 008 598

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 125506 B.
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Gauger, Achim Weiss.