Re: Packaging proprietary software

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 03:48:22PM +0200, Mathieu Slabbinck wrote:
> I'm creating a .deb installer for Ubuntu which contains a proprietary
> binary.
> I was wondering if anyone could point me to the best practice way of doing
> this.
>From the purely technical point of view the license doesn't matter.
If you are going to upload your package into the Debian non-free repo,
though, you need to make additional steps, but you didn't mention that.

> Currently I use dh_make to set everything up, but to have everything
> legally compliant, I don't think this is the best choice.
dh_make just creates some files from templates, nothing more. It's up to
you to make sure the result complies with everything you need it to be
compliant with.

> Any advise on how to accomplish a good proprietary binary is appreciated!
If "good" means "compliant with technical parts of Debian policies" then
you can use the same docs as for other packages.

--
WBR, wRAR