Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

Le mercredi 17 septembre 2014 à 14:29 +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Jackson Doak writes ("Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?"):
> > The package infernal has also dropped i386 support for this reason. Using
> > it's example, this can cause issues for downstreams with i386 arch:all
> > builders. Just something to consider
>
> I think dropping the package from i386 is worse than all the other
> options, including the (very ugly indeed) situation where the package
> coredumps in its testsuite on some buildds.
>
> Any of the other options (debconf prompting in preinsts; proper error
> messages on program startup; disabling testsuites if sse2 not found;
> sse2-support feature `meta' package), singly or in combination, would
> be quite fine IMO.
>
> My advice would be to do what seems best for your package, and to
> continue to share information and experiences with other packages with
> similar problems.  We can leave coming up with a uniform approach for
> another day.

Given all the opinions expressed on the list (thanks!), I have decided
to keep the i386 package and make it display an explicit error message
at runtime if there is no SSE2 support in the processor.

Concerning the buildd, I now realize that the package really needs SSE2
support at build time. The reason is that, Julia being a JIT-compiler,
it is run at build time to create the binary image of its standard
library. I'll see if that creates problems on the i386 buildds.

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer