Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

Jackson Doak writes ("Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?"):
> The package infernal has also dropped i386 support for this reason. Using
> it's example, this can cause issues for downstreams with i386 arch:all
> builders. Just something to consider

I think dropping the package from i386 is worse than all the other
options, including the (very ugly indeed) situation where the package
coredumps in its testsuite on some buildds.

Any of the other options (debconf prompting in preinsts; proper error
messages on program startup; disabling testsuites if sse2 not found;
sse2-support feature `meta' package), singly or in combination, would
be quite fine IMO.

My advice would be to do what seems best for your package, and to
continue to share information and experiences with other packages with
similar problems.  We can leave coming up with a uniform approach for
another day.

Ian.