Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

Hi,
On Sep 14, 2014 9:16 AM, Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Sébastien Villemot  wrote:
> > The bottom line is that julia needs SSE2 (and porting it to the x87 FPU
> > requires changes that are beyond what I am willing/able to do, see [1]
> > for more details). And the presence of SSE2 is not guaranteed on the
> > i386 architecture.
>
> chromium upstream decided to go SSE2-only, but I've reverted that in
> the Debian packages for now.  I would prefer to not diverge, and would
> do so if there were a convenient way to detect and prompt users about
> the problem (rather than segfault).
How about creating a package named like sse2-support for i386 which fails to install (unless it is forced) on not SSE2-capable hardware emitting a proper error message?
Packages requiring SSE2 could (build-) depend on it.

BTW steam already requires SSE2.

Cheers,
Balint